When I walked into the kitchen that morning, I saw four bruised bananas lying on the flour. Obviously, the recent hot weather must have accelerated the maturing proces of the bananas. How to salvage these 4 "injured" bananas? 🤔
Searching through my banana cake recipes, I finally found one which utilizes lots of banana flesh. In fact, the recipe uses 6 times more banana flesh than the oil used. This cake has an unique flavour and a spongy texture resulting from the higher quantity of baking soda used, and an exceptionally long waiting time ⏳⌛
This recipe is a tweak from my Yr 2015 recipe Banana Slow-Cake. I substituted the 40g rice bran oil by 20g each of melted butter and coconut oil for a more fragrant cake 😋
Pan size: 25Lx10Wx7H cm (narrow base)
All ingredients in room temperature
Using 60g eggs
250g ripe banana, about 3 medium size 熟香蕉
1 tsp baking soda* 小苏打粉
3 eggs 全蛋
75g raw sugar 黄砂糖
1/4 tsp salt 盐
130g top/cake flour 低筋面粉
1 tsp baking powder 泡打粉
20g unsalted butter, melted 无盐牛油，融化
20g organic coconut oil 有机椰油
* I adhered to the original recipe closely as I do not know the function of the baking soda in the banana paste. 😌 I may reduce the baking soda from 1 tsp to 3/4 tsp in my next bake. I prefer a milder taste. 😁
1. Mash banana and mix in the baking soda. Cover and let the mixture stands for 40 minutes.
2. Melt butter with coconut oil in a rice cooker using "Keep Warm" mode for 5 minutes. Switch off the rice cooker and let the oil stays in the rice cooker till needed.
3. Beat eggs with raw sugar till the latter dissolves.
4. Mix cake/top flour with baking powder. Sieve and add the flour mixture and salt to the beaten eggs in (2).
You may substitute cake/top flour and baking powder by 130g self-raising flour.
5. Pour in the banana mixture from (1).
Cover and let the batter stands for 40 minutes.
6. Mix in the melted butter and coconut oil.
7. Pour the batter into a loaf pan coated with butter and sprinkle with rice flour or cake flour. Cover and let the batter stands for 10 minutes.
You can also line an aluminum cake pan with parchment paper.
8. Bake in a preheated oven at 170° Celsius for about 35 to 40 minutes at middle rack, or till an inserted cake tester came out dry.
Make a shallow slit in the middle during the 15th minute into baking, this step is optional.
8. Allow the cake to cool down for about 20 minutes. Run a spatula round the edge of the cake before inverting it out from the loaf pan.
Let the cake cool down completely before slicing it. Enjoy :)
Thank you Sharon for her fabulous recipe